Can I be fired for stepping down? 2 Answers as of June 21, 2011

If i were to step down from a managment position in the foodservice industry, could i be terminated in the state of indiana? I'm transferring to a four year university from community college and need more time to spend on schoolwork and to spend with my newborn. There has been an agreement between my boss and i that it will happen but i do not want something to happen that will force me to go back to 45 hrs a week, and make me neglect my schoolwork.

Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
Indiana is an at-will employment state. This means they can terminate your for any reason or no reason, just not an illegal, discriminatory reason. In short, if they want to fire you for not working the hours they want, they can legally do so.
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
Indiana is an "at will" state and a person's employment could be terminated as long as such termination does not violate a federal or state law or is against public policy. I suggest you contact the federal EEOC and/or the Indiana Civil Rights Commission for a possibly response to your employment concerns.