Can I be fired for a photo posted online? How? 4 Answers as of July 07, 2015

I was at work one night and I was sitting in a reclining chair with my feet up and my charting book in my lap. When I had finished charting, I put the book down and shut my eyes for a moment to rest them. A friend of mine came up and snapped a picture of me and posted it on Facebook. The next day I was called into the office and fired for the photo. I tried to explain to them that I wasn't sleeping and that I had just finished my charting, but they said it didn't matter, I was terminated. The girl who took the photo even told them I wasn't sleeping, but it didn't seem to matter. Can they fire me over that?

KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
Yes. MS is an employment at will State, which means that you can be terminated for any reason that is not discriminatory.
WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
Yes, in GA, an employer may fire you for this, or for anything, so long as they are not motivated by Race, Age, Sex, National Origin, Religion, Handicap Georgia recognizes the doctrine of employment at will. Employment at will means that in the absence of a written contract of employment for a defined duration, an employer can terminate an employee for good cause, bad cause, a mistaken cause, or no cause at all, so long as it is not an illegal cause.
Sprattlin Castor LLC | Nancy Castor Sprattlin
Yes in Georgia, to the extent there is no employment contract, an employee can be fired for any reason or none at all, so long as the termination is not motivated by discriminatory or retaliatory animus on the basis of a protected category (I.e. Race, sex, religion, national origin etc. The act of responding to this question and/or submitting information via an electronic or written form, does not create an attorney-client relationship. Furthermore, we are providing general information. We would need more information to provide a more specific analysis and assessment of your case.
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
Unfortunately, you can be fired. If you believe that you were treated differently for an illegal discriminatory reason, you could have claim for wrongful termination.