Can I be fined for a gun discharge? 4 Answers as of May 31, 2011

My friend had a gun I was curious about the workings of it, so I took it apart and put it back together... he tossed it, loaded, and said he didn’t touch it after me. If someone finds it and turns it in, Police dust for prints and find only my fingerprints. I feel it will come back to me, what happens, then? I am in Brooklyn, NY. I read about possession, but it is not my gun, and it has not been in an investigation for a crime, I hope. Can I be charged with something? Oh I have no prior convictions or anything.

You state that you touched your friends gun and feel that your fingerprints will lead to an arrest if it is found by the police. The police have a computer that can match a latent print lifted from any smooth surface if they have your prints on file. If you were arrested then the police will have your prints on file. If they get a sufficient print to compare against the millions of prints on file you can be arrested for possession of a weapon or even murder if the weapon is used in a homicide. I suggest that you retain a criminal attorney if you have a criminal record and stop playing with guns.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
If at the time you physically possessed the firearm without a permit to carry you could be charged with a crime. If the gun is lost and then turned into the PD they generally do not dust for prints. If the gun is used in a crime they will dust for prints and if it comes back to you they are going to find you and question you for sure.
If the gun is used in the commission of a crime, and yours is the only fingerprints on it, they could charge you but they would have to prove that you fired the weapon- ballistics tests will have to be made. If you do get charged with anything you should hire an attorney.
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
Assuming the worst - that the gun is recovered by the police, that the prints are still on the gun, that the gun is tested and matched to a series of murders, and that you are fingered as the owner of the prints - this does not mean you will be charged with anything. Yes, you may be questioned, but you have a perfect explanation - the gun is your friend's, and you just took it apart and put it together. In other words, your friend may have more to answer to than you.