Can I be charged with a public intoxication, if I was on a friend's property? 10 Answers as of June 18, 2013

I was at a friend's house and went outside. The officers asked me, from outside of the gate, if I had been drinking and I told them I had been last night. They asked me to come to their car, which I would think is public and proceeded to arrest me there. They also went into my friend's house, without reason, and I was wondering if any of this is allowed or legal and whether or not I have a chance to beat this in court.

Possibly, but your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced criminal law attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your arrest. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
James M. Osak, P.C.
James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
All you had to do was WALK AWAY. WHY did you answer the copsters? You arrested yourself. They had no probable cause to enter the property. Fight the arrest by trying to squash the illegal search.
Well I would want to see the exact statute that they charged him under sicne this could make a difference.
You need an attorney.
Yes you can, because it is up to your lawyer to show in court that you were not in a "public" place.
    What state did this occur in?
    Get a clue. The police were not just driving by and decided to stop for a chat, and discovered that you were intoxicated. The police were probably called by the neighbors because the drinking party was loud, or after hours. The police responding to the scene decided to have a coversation before they entered the premises, and you obliged by explaining that you were drinking the night before. Intelligent lawyers guess that that means the police spoke to you about 2:00 a.m. and you reported that you were drinking the night before (three hours earlier). If you appear underage, then the police will proceed to the house because someone is serving alcohol to minors. No one is stupid.
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    If you are of legal age to drink, and was on private property, a charge for public intoxication is not correct.
    It sounds like you have a consensual encounter with the cops, which is legal. As far as the friend and his house it is hard to tell without knowing more. Get a lawyer and keep your mouth shut.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Only an attorney who has completely investigated the facts can answer.