Can I be charged with assault? 9 Answers as of August 28, 2013

A teenage girl smacked my son and when I approached her, she said she felt offended when he got in her face. He didn't hit her so I was in her face asking why she hit my son and she told me to get out of her face and pushed and hit me in my face. I defended myself and she has injuries. Now can I be charged with assault for defending myself?

Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC
Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC | Lisa Mulligan
If this is an incident that occurred in Washington state, you have the right to use reasonable force to defend yourself.
Yes but they have to prove that it was not self defense at trial.
Absolutely, especially if you forget you have the right to remain silent and cop yourself out. Remember, no matter what you say it will be twisted around and used against you later.
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
Assault does not require an actual touching. If you feel threatened legitimately it can be assault. You absolutely should hire an attorney to guide you. You should not be posting admissions as to what you did online.
Yes. But being charged is not the same as being convicted.
    You can be charged because you were not defending yourself, when you are in the face of a teenage girl. When you are arguing back and forth and she pushes you to get her out of her face, then you strike and injure her that is NOT self defense. However, you should retain an attorney and argue it to a jury. So, you can learn like Trayvon Martin's parents learned.
    You could be charged with Assault 4. You were not a party of the incident, but you decided to be. Your son was correct to not do anything. He should have left the scene. You had the option to walk away too, but decide not to. While use of force is permitted to defend yourself, only the force necessary to do so is permitted. If there were injuries, you went beyond the threshold.
    Get an Attorney and fight the allegations. You do have a right to self-defense.
    You can be charged, but under the facts as presented, with a good defense, should not be convicted.