Can I be charged of stealing from the store even if I only stole from a co-worker? 5 Answers as of August 21, 2014

I got caught stealing money from a coworker and the amount was 130$ and the officer who came said I was being charged with stealing from the store itself. So is it possible to get charged for that even when I didn’t steal from the store? And what’s the penalty from stealing from a co-worker?

Well if they charged you only with retail fraud then it should be a misdemeanor. If the item was on or in the coworkers grasp, then you could be charged with Larceny from a Person which carries up to 10 years in prison. If you did this in a building then it could be Larceny from a building a 4 year felony. You need a lawyer.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Stealing is stealing and in your case more than Lindsey larceny from a person. But I do not know the exact charge. Without knowing exactly the charge, cannot expand.
James Sterling Lawrence, Attorney at Law | James Sterling Lawrence
Actually, it is worse stealing from the coworker than from the store. Theft from the store might be only misdemeanor retail fraud. Theft from the coworker could be misdemeanor larceny, or in some cases might be charged as a felony of larceny in a building or larceny from a person. These are 4 and 10 year maximum offenses. Though a prison or jail sentence is possible, if there was no violence and you have no past record, you have a reasonable chance of probation. You might end up trying to make a deal for a misdemeanor with no jail. Get a lawyer now, do not answer police questions, and stop confessing on the internet.
Stealing is stealing. You will get charged based on the amount taken. Hire an attorney ASAP.
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman | Ezra Goldman
It is possible but it might not matter. If they charged you with a misdemeanor, larceny is larceny. If they charged you with a felony, larceny from a building is a separate thing from larceny from a person but you have to see the charging papers to know if they messed up.