Can I be charged for a felony again after my case was dismissed? 10 Answers as of April 30, 2013

I was charged with obtaining property under false pretenses due to falling victim of a Craigslist scam and my attorney got my case voluntarily dismissed because I made an arrangement with the bank to get the money paid back. I fell behind on my payments and I am worried that I am going to get a knock on my door from a sheriff. Can I be re-charged for the same crime even though my case was dismissed? And I have no idea if it was dismissed with or without prejudice.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
If the court is called they will tell you if it was dismissed with or without prejudice. If dismissed without prejudice then it could be brought up again.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/26/2012
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
If you violate any of the terms of the sentence you could be re-sentenced to jail. You should find the money to pay the restitution or you will be charged with a VOCD, or a Violation of a Conditional Discharge.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/26/2012
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You can be recharged. So, it begs the question, why could you not get the money repaid.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 11/26/2012
The Law Office of Jared Eisenstat | Jared Eisenstat
If the case was dismissed without prejudice and you are still within the statue of limitations a re-filing is possible, you should consult with an attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/23/2012
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Your case would not have been dismissed with prejudice if you still have a restitution obligation.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 11/22/2012
Click to View More Answers: