Can I apply green card for my mom who overstayed in the US? 5 Answers as of May 06, 2011

My mom overstayed in us for 18 months last year, but she is living outside of us now. I'm a citizen of us now and I'd like to know if I can apply green card for my mom so that she may legally reenter us?

If you mother remained in the U.S. after the expiration of her stay, remained for more than 1 year and then left she is inadmissible to the U.S. for 10 years under INA Section 212(a)(9)(B). The 10 years started to run once she left. She would need a waiver to return any earlier. To qualify for the waiver she must show that a US Citizen or LPR spouse or parent would suffer extreme hardship if the waiver was not granted. Hardship to U.S.Citizen children does not count.
Yes you can. She will have to have a good explanation as to why she overstayed in the first place. So at the time of her interview with the embassy, she is going to have to file a waiver and my guess is that if she does not have a compelling enough case, then she will be made to remain in her country of origin for a period of 1 to 3 years before she can come in. If she does, then she may come in sooner. Had she stayed put in the US, having come in with a visa, she could have gone on to adjust right here. Good luck!
She needs to file for a waiver before she can be admissible or wait for 10 years.
Yes you can but she will also need a waiver to overcome her past unlawful presence.