Can I apply for a visa for my husband while on medicaid? 8 Answers as of January 17, 2011

I am pregnant and we have no medical insure. I am in the process of getting the K3 visa for my husband and we have a sponsor but I am not sure if i can be on medicaid during the process or if it would make the sponsor responsible for the medical bills.

Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
The fact that you are on medicaid has not relevance for the petition for your husband, and the sponsor won't be liable for your medical bills by signing the affidavit of support.
The K-3 is not recommended. I would not incur the expense and just file an I-130. Any public aid benefits for you or your child are fine but you still need to show your spouse will not be a public charge if he comes here so you will likely need a co-sponsor.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
No it will not. You will be fine.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
As a U.S. citizen, you can still have medicaid even if you are sponsoring someone. The joint sponsor will not be responsible for your medical bills. The joint sponsor is responsible for ensuring that your immigrant husband will not become a public charge.
Yes you can. It will not make the co-sponsor responsible for benefits that you, the U.S. Citizen, or your U.S. Citizen children, receive.
    Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC
    Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC | Kirk A. Carter
    You can be on Medicaid and still sponsor your husband, and your back up or joint financial sponsor is not responsible in any way for your medical bills. He or she is agreeing to help you support your spouse and is not agreeing to help you support yourself.
    JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
    JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
    Yes you can apply for a visa for your husband while you are on medicaid. You will need a joint sponsor.
    You should apply for the visa and seek professional advice when it comes to financial support. There is will, there is way. You are welcome to contact.