Can I apply for state disability while a workman's compensation case is being investigated? 11 Answers as of January 14, 2016

Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
There is no such thing as State disability. SSDI is Federal. Provided that your doctor will state that you cannot do any work for at least a year, you may qualify for benefits. You may qualify for Medicaid/Public Aid (health care) if you cannot work.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
You can apply for state disability while your workers' compensation claim is pending. The amount of any benefits you receive might be reduced if you succeed in your claim.
Workers Comp has become a fairly complex and specialized are of law. You would do best by consulting a lawyer who is very experienced in this area of law. Check AVVO.com or elsewhere on the web, yellow pages, your state bar may have a lawyer referral service, or friends who have had favourable experiences with a Workers Comp lawyer.
I think so. Disability is disability, the only difference being who pays, and how much.
    It is possible and perhaps wise. Speak with your attorney, or get one, regarding your options.
    Yes. If there is a WC award in your favor that includes anything for temporary disability [time off work], that money will be used to pay off the lien for the money received from State Disability. There is no loss to you, so file immediately.
    You cannot double dip.
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    Arguably you can but the disability people will likely ask you about the status of the workers' compensation claim and if you receive any disability income, workers compensation may get to off set or reduce their payments to you. You should speak with a Georgia workers' compensation attorney for help on your workers' compensation claim. Good luck.
    I'm not sure what you mean by State disability, but if you are referring to Social Security, then, yes, presuming you are permanently and totally disabled. Good luck.
    Boesen Law, LLC
    Boesen Law, LLC | Joseph J. Fraser III
    You may make application for any benefits for which you qualify, and I can certainly help with the workers' comp claim. However, I'm not aware of a "disability" benefits program through the state, only food stamp assistance. If you're capable of some work, you may apply for unemployment benefits.