Can I apply for a secured credit card while in Chapter 7 proceedings to begin reestablishing credit? 17 Answers as of April 01, 2014

Yes, you can apply for any type of credit card while in a Chapter 7. Many banks will refuse to accept your account because you're a poor credit risk and because many institutions don't want to mess with any possible effects of the bankruptcy but there is no law against it.
Yes, but most creditors will want you to get a discharge first. In any case, you are permitted to get a card, if you so elect.
Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
You can ask sure. There is no law that you are violating in doing so.
Law Office of Shawn N. Wright | Shawn N. Wright
No, you shouldn't apply for a credit card, even a secured one, during the course of your Chapter 7. I am not sure why you are so worried about reestablishing your credit. Just finish the Chapter 7 case. The entire case only takes 4 months from start to finish. Once you get your discharge order at the completion of the case, then you can apply for a credit card to start rebuilding your credit.
Idaho Bankruptcy Law | Paul Ross
Yes. You can enter into new lines of credit the day after your Chapter 7 is filed. You cannot secure it against property of the estate, but if it is a card where you prepay, there should not be any issues.
    Law Offices of Robert P. Taylor
    Law Offices of Robert P. Taylor | Robert P. Taylor
    You can apply. However, you mind find that no company will approve your application until after you receive your discharge and your case closes.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    Yes, as long as it is for less than $2,000.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    There is no reason you can't apply for such a card, however, don't be surprised if your application draws extra scrutiny because of your recent bankruptcy filing. A secured credit card from a reputable bank is a good way to re-establish credit.
    Westgate Law
    Westgate Law | Justin Harelik
    Yes, I don't know if the creditor would approve you even though it is a secured card. The creditor may just want to wait until you get your discharge. You can definitely try though.
    Most probably a yes, but I would confer with an attorney to determine whether or not this is a wise and proper thing to do. If you do not have an attorney representing you in your bankruptcy, you should certainly engage one.
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
    Yes you can and you should as that is the best way to reestablish credit.