Can I apply for residency if I was convicted of a crime? 4 Answers as of May 03, 2011

Can I apply for residency if I was convicted of a crime and was deported?

It depends on the crime, the time of deportation, your sponsorship among other things. There is a lot of information missing in order to answer correctly. This is the kind of issue you want to consult an Attorney on. Generally, a person who has been removed from the US must re-apply for admission after 10 years of living outside of the US following his/her removal. They will need to prepare a good waiver to submit to DHS prior to being allowed to come back. Good luck!
Whether you will be denied your Green Card (Residency) or deported depends on many factors, including the crime you were convicted, the sentence imposed, the sentence served, if you have Green Card or US Citizen spouse, children or parents. You need to speak to an immigration attorney before proceeding with your case and provide them with all of this information.
Devore Law Group, P.A.
Devore Law Group, P.A. | Jeffrey A. Devore
If you have been deported from the United States due to a criminal conviction you are inadmissible to the U.S. for a minimum of 10 years and in some cases permanently. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the facts of your case and advise you of the options available to you.
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Without more information, I have to say that it is not likely that you would be granted a residency permit. If your ten-year bar has expired, and you can show that you are rehabilitated, you may decide to apply and take the chance of being refused.