Can I apply for a re-entry permit, if I've already left? 6 Answers as of June 04, 2013

I've been in and out of the US for the past 5 years, right after I was given my green card. I have returned every year to make sure I didn't lose it. I attempted to apply for a re-entry permit so I could be out for two years, but not enough time. I study in England now, at university level, thus I am wondering can apply for it here?

You have to be physically present in the US in order to be eligible to file for the reentry permit.
Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
You may apply for a re-entry permit with a request that it is sent to the US post in the country where you now reside for pick up. I am not fully aware of the facts of your case and hence, I suggest you consult with an attorney
Hakim, Daman & Toma, P.C. | Eman H. Jajonie-Daman
You are supposed to apply for it and wait for the approval before you leave. You may try now but should supplement it w/valid explanation. No guarantees.
Law Office of Rebecca White
Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
You need to be physically present in the US when you file for the Reentry Permit.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
You must be physically in the US in order to apply for a Re-entry Permit and remain in the country until your fingerprints were taken.
    You cannot apply for a re-entry permit outside the U.S. You must file the appropriate application while in the U.S. and complete biometrics before departing the country.