Can I apply for permanent residency? 6 Answers as of August 11, 2011

Been in this country since 1996 came here on a vistor's visa (stolen). Got married and applied for residency which was denied and labeled a sham, currently on deportation list. Married for 9 yrs to a U.S. citizen and have 2 children both whom are U.S. citizens. What are my chances of getting residency?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Unfortunately not good.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/11/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
If your prior marriage was found and documented to be sham/fraud, there is virtually nothing you can do. But you should see an immigration attorney to examine the finding of sham marriage.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/9/2011, PC, PC | Scott D. Mills
Your US Citizen spouse has the right to sponsor you for Residency and Citizenship. Because you have had problems with your application, I strongly suggest that you hire an attorney to assist you with your application.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 8/9/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Slim to none. If you acquired ten years prior to being placed in removal proceedings, you may be able to argue that you are still eligible for cancellation of removal, but the fraud is going to be a problem no matter what for good moral character. If you are unable to show that your first marriage was not a sham and the immigration service made an actual finding of fraud, you will not be eligible for a visa ever. This is a complicated case. You need to see an experienced removal lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 8/9/2011
Law Office of Nora Rilo
Law Office of Nora Rilo | Nora Rilo
Are you still married to the same wife? An accusation of marriage fraud can only be cured through the the same marriage. However, if you were placed in immigration proceedings and had 10 years in the US then you may qualify for cancellation of removal because of your US citizen family members and over 10 yrs here but its still up to the judge and the sham accusation will be taken into account.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/9/2011
Click to View More Answers: