Can I apply for Naturalization if I am a Permanent resident that commited a felony? 6 Answers as of May 06, 2011

My permanent resident card will expire in one year. I don't know if I can get another card or if I will get deported.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Devore Law Group, P.A.
Devore Law Group, P.A. | Jeffrey A. Devore
It depends upon what felony you have been convicted of. Consult with an attorney who can review your case.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/6/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You will have to face the music somehow. I don't know what your felony was about. You should plan for the possibility that you can be dragged before an immigration judge to present your case (AND A WAIVER) to see if you will be allowed to stay. But I really cannot tell you what will happen since I know nothing about your case. Nothing is impossible so please consult with an attorney to plan a strategy. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
Whether the conviction will affect you depends on many factors, including: 1. When you got your original Green Card; 2. When you were convicted; 3. The exact crime you were convicted of; 4. Your sentence; and many other factors. This is the type of matter you need to discuss with an immigration attorney to determine what is your best course of action.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
You really need to make an appointment with a competent immigration attorney specializing in criminal law. I am not able to evaluate your case based on your question. You will want to bring your certified court disposition with the full case history on it to your meeting to have your case analyzed. If you try to naturalize or file for an extension of your card, this issue will arise because they will take your fingerprints so please take care of this now! As a general matter, most felonies will bar you from naturalizing for five years after your probation ends.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Depends on what the felony is, when it was committed. Were you already a permanent resident when it happened or not? Best strategy is to get a certified copy of all of the Court records, police report, plea agreement if applicable. You may want to consult with your criminal attorney on whether a pardon or expungement if possible. We can then assist with your replacement card and/or citizenship as appropriate. If you want to avoid replacing your card you need to file for citizenship at least six months before the PR card expires so you are smart to check on these things now.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: