Can I apply for naturalization after my probation ends? 5 Answers as of January 27, 2011

Can I apply for naturalization after my probation ended? I was accused wrongly and placed on probation sentence for third degree larceny. Please advise as to what I should do before I complete the application.

Why did you plead guilty if accused wrongly? I would need many more facts to adequately advise you along with a certified copy of all court records.
Your application for naturalization after completing your probation for third degree larceny, a crime which USCIS undoubtedly regards as a so-called CIMT(crime involving moral turpitude) could result in your being placed in removal proceedings and booted from the country.
I would wait for a few years because the conviction is one of moral turpitude.
You have to prove good moral character for the 5 years (3 years if married and living with U.S. Citizen) preceding the date you file your N-400 Application. A conviction of a crime involving good moral character, such as larceny, would mean that you have to wait 5 years from the date of the conviction. Whether you were wrongly accused does not matter, what matter is whether you were found guilty.

Also, please be aware that many criminal convictions can result in your being deported or removed from the U.S. By filing for Naturalization you would be telling the USCIS of your conviction. Therefore, you should speak to an immigration attorney regarding your situation before you file. Additionally, you should speak to them even if you decide not to file since you could have a problem re-entering the U.S. if you leave because of your conviction.
Hugo Florido ESQ.
Hugo Florido ESQ. | Hugo Florido
To apply for citizenship normally five years of good moral character is required.

I would need to know a lot more about your case in order to better evaluate your chances.

Call the office and make an appointment.