Can I apply for my moms green card if I am underage? 4 Answers as of November 10, 2010

I was born in the USA and have a US Citizenship. My Mother is not a resident or a citizen, can I apply for her green card even though I am 17 years old?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You cannot apply-petition for your mother for legal permanent residency until you are 21 years old. The only other option for your mother, if it involves you, is to apply for Cancellation of Removal, in which she shows, among other things, that she has lived continuously in the USA for at least 10 years, and a matter of exceptional and extreme hardship would occur to you, as a U.S. citizen minor child. This cannot just involve the inconvenience of moving to your home country. It must mean severe consequences in finances, education, and health. If you have more questions, or feel you can use my services as your lawyer, by all means feel free to e-mail or phone to set up an in-person or phone consultation. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/10/2010
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
Yes, you can apply for anything you want. Since you are under 21 years old, the application will be Denied and you have wasted your money. Talk to an attorney to determine if there is another option to legally bring in your mother.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/8/2010
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
NO, you have to be at least 21 years of age before being able to petition your parent for permanent residence.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/8/2010
Click to View More Answers: