Can I apply for immigration through VAWA? 3 Answers as of April 27, 2011

My husband and I met online through yahoo personals, we dated and got married about 4 months later. Everything was fine, we both loved each other and he was a great father to my son. After about 9 months our marriage began to go downhill. The abuse started physcologically and emotionally. My husband spit in my face, kept me away from friends and talked down to me. When he medically retired from the military he refused to get another job. I was forced to work and pay our bills. He began to be abusive in cycles. After several months of screaming and hitting or shoving me at least once a week, I asked him to see a psychiatrist because I thought he was bipolar. He did. He was on the medicine for 2 months and his temper was under control. He stopped taking the medicine and his moods came back full force. One morning he hit me so hard in the face that I ended up having to go to the hospital. He was arrested for domestic violence and orderded to take classes for abusive spouses. We tried to work on our marriage and even went to an initial consultation for marriage counseling but it was too expensive to do the therapy. After that abuse, I began to have anxiety attacks which landed me in the hospital. I lost my job. We moved to live with my parents because neither of us had money. While at my parents he continued to treat me bad, screaming, hitting and breaking things. He refused to look for a job blaming me because he now had a pending charge on his criminal record. After 6 months of him coming and going from my parents home he finally left when he finished his court ordered classes and got a job. He does not support me in any way. During the 2 years that we were married, I was unable to get pregnant because I have irregular periods and do not ovulate. I also have fibromyalgia and take really stong medications for pain management. He has threatened to kill me on several occasions.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
Yes you seem eligible for vawa. Vawa is based on either mental or physical abuse; you have suffered both. An immigration attorney should prepare this petition for you.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/27/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Sorry for what you went through. It sounds that you may be eligible for VAWA but you have to prove what you said is true. You should work with a lawyer to gain green card for yourself through VAWA. If you have documentation, you may contact us to review them and tell you your options.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/27/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Probably. I am assuming your husband is an American citizen.Right? You need an attorney experienced with VAWA and who understand the cycle of violence in order to prepare a good solid application. (I have file numerous VAWA petition, all successful). It you do not have any money, try some non-profit organization.Some of them prepare VAWA petition (But not the adjustment package) for free or very cheap. Sometimes, you must wait a while before the attorney from the non-profit organization start the work for your case, because they are very busy. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: