Can I apply for H-1B and after my petition is approved to enter the US on ESTA? 4 Answers as of February 03, 2014

My employer is applying for H-1B (April 1st). In case that get approved: Is it possible to come to the US on ESTA before Sep. 21 (which is 10 days prior to my employment start based on H-1b) purely for tourism? Thanks.

Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
You can enter on H-1b visa 10 days prior to employment start date if you come to start working afterwards.
You can travel to the United States through ETSA at any time prior to the start date of your H-1B visa, but you cannot change your status to H-1B while in the U.S. You would need to obtain an H-1B visa abroad and re-enter. You can discuss the matter in more detail with your company's immigration attorney.
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
Technically yes, but then you need to leave the country and come in on H1B visa, so, practically I do not think you can do it, unless you visit US on ESTA much prior than intended day of employment.