Can I apply for a greencard and divorce? Posted on July 02, 2011

I have been married to Hoosier since 1994(in the US.) Husband and I have been living 17 years in Japan since he had a job in Japan. We once applied my green card in1999, however we did not finish the process. Since he started work again in Japan. 5 years ago, we moved to Tokyo for his job, however he became sick. I supported him for recovering his sick, however I was effected by him and I became depressed. He seems like not having his wife being sick. Last May he planned to apply for my Green card, and told his friends, and me it is good for me. He changed his mind and did not apply it. Then, he tried to force me out of our house. In the end, he quit his job in Japan and disappeared. Can I still apply for my green card without him? some of my American friends told me I can get green card since I am a wife of American 17 years. We file IRS jointly. He made me out his house, and then closed our apartment, and stopped my credit card. Anyhow, my question is Can I apply for my green card? And I really need to go back to school for my future plan. If I can, I would like to return University in Indiana. I believe he needs to support with this matter. I have been waiting for going back to the US since we married. How can I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: