Can I apply for a green card if I have studied in the US and own a home? 4 Answers as of June 09, 2011

Hello, I am from China. I have studied in the US for over 10 years, I have worked under my OPT for a year. Now I am back in the US studying for my master degree. I recently bought a house and paid in full. Can I apply for a green card? What will be my better alternative?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
Your studies and home ownership are not related to an application for U.S. permanent residence. You must find a basis, typically either family-based or employment-based for your permanent residence. The majority of clients with a degree or an advanced degree find an employer willing to file for them.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/9/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You need a job or a spouse to sponsor you. Permanent residence is a privilege, not a right.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/9/2011
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
Owning a home does not qualify you for anything. Having an advanced degree and a company willing to sponsor you may qualify you for a green card through EB2/3. For a free consultation you may contact my office.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/8/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Nope. Studying here and buying property does not give you a green card. You can only get permanent residence through a - diversity lotter b - an employment based petition c - a family based petition and d - some court applications that require that you be in deportation proceedings. The only way you are going to know which one to do is by really seeking counsel and laying out a firm plan for getting permanent residence Unless you have a US citizen boyfriend or girlfriend stashed away somewhere, there is no easy or short way so you need a plan. Based on your post, you should seek a good employment-immigration attorney and get to work.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 6/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: