Can I apply for a green card for my mother, after getting a green card myself? 10 Answers as of March 17, 2013

I am on an OPT working in US, which is valid till June 2014. How long will it take me to get a green card, after marrying a US citizen, and after that, what options do I have to bring my mother in US permanently?

You will be able, after about 6-9 months, to obtain legal residency through your wife, and you may petition for your mother after you obtain citizenship, if still done through marriage would be in another 3 years.
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
You can expect to wait for your green card not less than 5-6 months from the day your spouse files a petition for you. If you marriage lasts, you will qualify for U.S. citizenship in 3 years from the date of becoming a permanent resident. If you divorce your U.S. spouse, or get separated, within the first 2 years, you will lose your green card; otherwise, your conditional, 2-year green card will be replaced with a permanent green card. If you divorce your spouse you after receiving a permanent green card but before qualifying for citizenship, you will have to wait 4 years and 9 months from the date of becoming a permanent resident before you can apply for naturalization. Only after becoming a citizen, you will be able to petition for your mother. After you file an immigrant petition for your mother, you will have to wait about 9 months for USCIS to consider your petition, another couple of months for the case to be transferred to the National Visa Center, and yet another few months for the Department of State to complete the paperwork and send it over to the U.S. embassy in your mother's country. How long will the embassy take to schedule a visa interview for your mother depends on how busy the consular section in your country will be at the time; several months is not uncommon. Please understand that the processing times I have given you in the previous paragraph are the current ones; by the time you become a citizen, they can (and likely will) change. But, generally, you can expect the process to take 1.5 -2.5 years after you become a citizen.
The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
It takes approximately 3 to 12 months for you to get a green card based on marriage. After that, you need to wait for at least two years (when your condition is removed) before you can petition your relatives to the U.S. without invoking the assumption of fraud. It will be easier to become a U.S. citizen first then apply for your relatives, that will take approximately three years (assuming that you'll still be married to your spouse after three years. If you divorce him/her before you get your citizenship, it will take 5 years for you to get your citizenship).
You have to be a US citizen in order to be able to petition your parent. If you get your green card on the basis of marriage, and you are still married 3 years after getting your green card, you can be eligible to apply for US citizenship at that time.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
It will take approximately 3 to 4 months for you to obtain a green card through a US citizen spouse. As for your mother, you must first become a US citizen before you can petition your mother for a green card. You can apply for citizenship three years after you received your green card if you stay married.
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
    You can probably get a green card in about 3 months. Once this happens, then you will need to wait another 3 years to get your citizenship. And once a US citizen, then you can apply for your mom.
    The Vega Law Firm
    The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
    If you have current legal status in the U.S., and you marry a U.S. Citizen you may adjust your status within the U.S. This will allow you to have Legal Permanent Residency between 6-8 months. You will have a conditional residency that can be converted into Citizenship within 3 years, once the condition is removed. At that time you may petition you mother to join you in the U.S.
    Ben T. Liu Law Office
    Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
    You have to be a US citizen first.
    Immigration Law Office of Arsen V. Baziyants
    Immigration Law Office of Arsen V. Baziyants | Arsen V. Baziyants
    You have to be a U.S. citizen to petition for your mom. You can be a U.S. citizen in a little over 3 years after you become a U.S. permanent resident, if you remain married and living with your USC spouse.
    The process currently takes about 6 months from filing to initial interview for marriage-based adjustment of status. If the case is approved, the green card typically comes in the mail in 2 weeks to a month. You cannot petition for your mother until you become a U.S. citizen. You can apply for naturalization 2 years, 9 months after becoming a resident if you are still married and living with your green card petitioner.