Can I apply for citizenship after being a US resident for 3 years? 6 Answers as of March 02, 2011

I’ve been a resident for three years now. My question is, can I apply to become a citizen or do I have to wait for the five years to be over first?

It depends. If you got your permanent residency through a spouse, you are eligible now. If you got it through another family member or employer, you have to wait another two years. If you're ready for help, feel free to call me or e-mail me for an appointment.
If you have been married to a U.S. Citizen for 3 years and are living together you can file after being a LPR for 3 years. Otherwise, you have to wait 5 years.
If you obtained your green card through marriage and are still with your spouse then yes. Otherwise you must wait for the five year mark! (90 days prior) It also depends upon whether you have been arrested, had tax issues, been physically present and other eligibility issues- so my answer is only focused on that particular aspect.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
The only people who can apply for citizenship after 3 years of LPR status are those who received their LPR status via marriage through a USC citizen. So, your eligibility depends on how you got your status.
If you are a greencard holder through marriage or vawa-then you can apply for citizenship after 2yrs & 9months. Otherwise must wait 4yrs & 9 months before applying for citizenship.
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    It depends. If you are married to an American citizen for three years and have your green card for three years, you can file now. You can also apply under the 3-year rule if you obtained your residency thru VAWA and your abuser was an American citizen spouse. Otherwise the rule is 5 years.