Can I apply for a change of status from b2 to h1b without going out of the US for visa stamping? 6 Answers as of November 06, 2012

I came to US in July and I can stay until January. I am in the US on B2 visa and my h1b was approved.

Law Office of Rebecca White
Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
That depends upon the start date of your H-1b, and if the H-1b or the change of status was approved.
If your H-1B was approved as a change of status, then you are in H-1B status as of the approval date and there is a new I-94. If there was no new I-94 attached to the approval notice, then you would have to go outside the US to consular process for the H-1B visa, enter the US on that visa, thereby activating the H-1B status. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Law Office of Eric Fisher | Eric Fisher
If you are still within the period of time stamped on your I-94 card and the I-129 petition is filed before the end date, you should be able to change status without leaving the US.
Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
No, you must leave the USA and then come back based upon your H1.
Ben T. Liu Law Office
Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
One option is to ask?the attorney who filed the H-1B to file for an amended petition asking for change of status from B-2 to H-1B. When does your H-1B start? You may want to file for premium processing.
    It depends upon whether the petition indicated you would seek a change of status or apply for a visa at the consulate. You can file for a change of status, but sometimes it can be difficult if the petition indicated you would seek the visa at the consulate. You would be best advised to speak to the attorney who filed the petition.