Can I apply for auto insurance even with a suspended license? 34 Answers as of May 30, 2013

I was wondering whether I can proceed with the application even with a suspended license.

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
If your license is suspended for a short-term, it may be possible to apply; however, insurers may be very wary of your potential risk and may refuse to issue a potential policy, even if you had the money.
Law Office of Timothy M. Donahue | Timothy M. Donahue
If you got an occupational license, you would be able to drive during the period of your suspension. Many courts require that you have an SR-22 certificate from an insurance company in order to get the occupational license.
You can get insurance, but if your license is suspended, why do you want to incur the cost? Depending upon why your license is suspended, you may be required to obtain SR22 insurance. This is high risk insurance and can be expensive.
The insurance agencies have there own criteria for applications. You should be able to get insurance even though your license is suspended.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
Yes you can apply but you may not be given insurance
    Talk to your insurance agent about that.
    You can apply for car insurance but your cannot drive until the suspension period is over. If you are caught driving while your license is suspended you will face a jail sentence. If you do not have insurance it is a misdemeanor with a $1,500 fine and a possible one year jail sentence.
    H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
    You can apply, but I doubt an insurance company would agree to issue you a policy while your license is suspended anyway.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    Contact the insurance company. It is up to them. You need an SR22 for sure.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    You can apply, but virtually every insurance company will reject you. Try one of the insurance brokers that deals with substandard carriers. Once you have a valid license and your driving record improves, you can switch carriers.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney