Can I apply for asylum from Laos if I was denied a green card? 3 Answers as of January 19, 2011

I came when I was 13 with my parents to the states from France. However, due to their lack of the english language, they never scheduled a meeting with immigration to get their green cards. They finally did it 9 years later, but by this time I had turned 22-23. Due to my age, I was not granted my green card like my parents and younger siblings. I was granted withholding of removal as to Laos and denied asylum as to France. My question are: Can I apply "asylum" as to Laos? Are there any other options other than marriage and/or work?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
The normal rule is that you must apply for asylum within one year of entry unless you can show exceptional circumstances. Your parents can each file an I-130 for you as long as you are unmarried. This puts you in the FB-2B category which will take awhile to reach your case. I would urge your parents to apply for citizenship at their soonest opportunity and the I-130 they filed would then be upgraded to FB-1 if you are still unmarried. If you get married after one of them becomes a citizen then your petition moves to the FB-3 category.

If you want assistance as to your case, you may contact me as indicated below. We do charge for consultations $350 per hour - but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for work after the consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/19/2011
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You cannot apply for asylum because you had "relocated" to France. Marriage will be your best option.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/17/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Presumably, you already tried to apply for asylum from Laos but were denied because you must apply for asylum within one year of entry. It also sounds like you might have a problem with firm resettlement. These cases are complicated. You need to speak to an immigration attorney about your other options, if any.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: