Can I appear in court for my husband for a credit card debt and he can't make his court date? 9 Answers as of October 30, 2012

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Havens Law, LLC
Havens Law, LLC | William Havens Nebeker
Generally you cannot appear in court for another person who is liable unless you are an attorney representing him. It might be possible if you are jointly responsible for the debt. It would be better to try and get the hearing moved to a different time your husband can attend or have an attorney representing him appear.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 10/30/2012
The Smalley Law Firm, LLC | Cary Smalley
No, he must appear himself or have an attorney to represent him.
Answer Applies to: Kansas
Replied: 10/26/2012
Victor Varga | Victor Varga
Not unless you are a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 10/25/2012
Alan Smith | Alan Smith
No. The only people who can appear on behalf of others are attorneys.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 10/25/2012
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
No, he is not the defendant.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/25/2012
    Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
    You may appear and explain to the judge the circumstances as to why your husband cannot appear and request the Judge to allow you to appear on behalf of your husband.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 10/25/2012
    Park Law Offices LLC | Kevin Parks
    Likely not. If someone is being sued for a debt and a court date is scheduled, the person must appear individually and/or by and through its attorney representative. If they fail to do so, the response will likely depend on just what the nature of the court appearance may be a pending motion may be granted, a default judgment may be entered, counter-claims may be dismissed, or the like. The judge also has the power to find the defendant in contempt of court and may issue a warrant or impose other sanctions or penalties.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 10/25/2012
    Gallagher & Associates Law Firm, P.A.
    Gallagher & Associates Law Firm, P.A. | Charles R. Gallagher III
    It depends if it's a joint debt and who is on the account. It might be that your appearance amounts to the unlicensed practice of law, which would be bad.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 10/25/2012
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    If you are a lawyer yes, or you are liable for the card, maybe. I would suggest you call the court and seek an adjournment to a time he is available, or better yet, engage an attorney. If he does not appear the plaintiff will generally receive a default judgment for the full amount and shortly thereafter commence collection action on the judgment.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 10/25/2012
Click to View More Answers: