Can I adopt my niece from Trinidad? 9 Answers as of June 09, 2011

Presently my brother and his wife are having great difficulties financially and otherwise. They have a 3 1/2 year old daughter who they can't take care of and asked me if I can adopt her or try to get her a visas to come live with me. My husband and I have our own home and both have stable jobs, we can give her a better future and home, how does this work? How long the process take? Where to begin?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
You should contact an adoption lawyer to guide you through the process.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/9/2011
Michael Anthony Wing, P.C.
Michael Anthony Wing, P.C. | Michael Anthony Wing
If you are in the Mobile AL area, I would find the answer while handling the adoption for you. However, I would be charging $150/ hour to handle the matter, and would require a retainer in the amount of $3,000 to handle the adoption. If you are going the visa route, I would make a referral to other counsel to assist in that regard. Call my office, if you would like our assistance. Stay well.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 6/2/2011
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
You need to contact a private adoption agency that handles international adoptions. International adoptions can be complicated because they require compliance with the laws of both countries involved. In Colorado all such adoptions must be handled by an agency and that is your best source of information on what is required and how long it will take. Since it is a family member it should be easier and faster than other situations, but it still involves a lot of bureaucratic process.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 6/2/2011
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
Yes. You can can adopt your niece. It's a complicated process, so you should definitely consult with an immigration lawyer. Best of luck.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/1/2011
Cody and Gonillo, LLP
Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
Contact an immigration attorney in your area for a consultation.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 6/1/2011
    Law Office of Joseph A. Katz
    Law Office of Joseph A. Katz | Joseph A. Katz
    You can definitely adopt your niece. I suggest you contact an Immigration Attorney for a free consultation. There are issues to consider and an extensive procedure to follow (apparently your niece is in Trinidad, correct?).
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/1/2011
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    International adoption is popular with infertile couples but generally because it is difficult for the birth mother to come after the child. Intra-family adoptions pose great risks, and should be attempted only after much discussion and counseling. Please seek out a local attorney who is familiar with both intra-family and international adoptions.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 6/1/2011
    Law Office of Kathryn L. Hudson
    Law Office of Kathryn L. Hudson | Kathryn L. Hudson
    International adoptions can be very tricky and require obtaining legal assistance from an attorney that specializes in adoptions from other countries. You might start by contacting the Trinidad Embassy I believe in New York, they should at least be able to refer you to the right sources. I would also contact adoption agencies in Trinidad, they should know what steps you will need to take.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Replied: 6/1/2011
    Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
    Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
    It may be possible. Speak with and retain an immigration attorney. For a free consultation you may contact my office.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/1/2011
Click to View More Answers: