Can I adopt my boyfriend's child? 24 Answers as of May 22, 2013

My boyfriend might be having a child, whether it's his or not, we are not sure, if it is his we want me to adopt the child.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Victor Varga | Victor Varga
Anyone can adopt anyone as long as the biological parents consent. If not, you have to argue it out in court.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 9/3/2012
Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/22/2013
Law Office of Melvin Franke | Melvin Franke
Not unless you aree married and the other consents
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 8/27/2012
Lombardi Law LLC
If the child is his, in Alaska you can file for custody. You will need to prove that it is yours and you can do this through CSSD, Child Support Enforcement. The other way is your boyfriend can make sure he is on the birth certificate but you probably want to make sure the child is his before this happens. If the child is yours your best bet is to file for custody -he does not need to adopt his own child. The only way you can adopt his child is if you can show that the mother has not meaningfully communicated with the child and not provided support. Since the child is not born yet it would be difficult to argue this. An attorney can help you with child support and a custody issue. It would be important to establish custody early and an attorney can help you there.
Answer Applies to: Alaska
Replied: 8/27/2012
The Law Office of Eric J Smith
The Law Office of Eric J Smith | Eric Smith
So far in Texas a child can only have one mother. The first woman in line for this job under the law is the woman who is currently carrying the child. If she legally gives up her right to be the mother of this child or has that right stripped from her in court, get that adoption paperwork going. Of course, the child has to be born first.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/27/2012
    Hynum Law Office, LLC
    Hynum Law Office, LLC | G. Wayne Hynum
    If the Courts deem you to be a fit parent, and if both of the natural parents of the child will agree to the adoption you should be able to adopt the child.
    Answer Applies to: Mississippi
    Replied: 8/27/2012
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    The child's mother would have to agree to the adoption and agree to give up her parental rights. If she refuses to do so, you could not force her to place the child for adoption.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/27/2012
    Michael Rose Attorney at Law
    Michael Rose Attorney at Law | Michael Rose
    The mother has to be part of the process. Do a DNA as see if the child is his. The mother may ask for support.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/27/2012
    Law Office of William L Spern | William Spern
    Yes, provided the birth mother agrees to terminate her parental rights and you are able to adopt.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/27/2012
    The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook
    The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook | Cathy R. Cook
    The mother would have to relinquish her rights for you to adopt, and you and your boyfriend would have to be married.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 8/27/2012
    Beaulier Law Office
    Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
    There is obviously another parent involved. Any adoption would require her consent.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 8/24/2012
    Nwokoye Law Firm
    Nwokoye Law Firm | Violet Nwokoye
    For a child to be adopted, someone's parental right has to be terminated, you can be child's adopted mom if biological mom agrees to relinquish her right for you or court terminates her right.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 8/24/2012
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    You are certainly free to adopt a child if you meet the requirements. However, in order to adopt his child you will either have to have the mother's consent or you will have to terminate her rights because she is too unfit to raise a child. And you may want to think about the ramifications if you adopt his child and then the two of you split up. Good luck to you.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 8/24/2012
    Law Office of Jane E. Ginsburg
    Law Office of Jane E. Ginsburg | Jane Ginsburg
    Presumably there's a mother involved. If she wants to give up her rights to the child, you could adopt the child.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/24/2012
    Law Office of L. Paul Zahn
    Law Office of L. Paul Zahn | Paul Zahn
    The biological mother may have a problem with that.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/24/2012
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    Only if you are married and the mother agrees.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 8/24/2012
    You are jumping the gun a bit. First confirm that the boyfriend is indeed the father. The sticking point is what does the mother say about all this? Do you really mean custody or having the baby live with you and your boyfriend? If so that will require filing a complaint to establish paternity and custody and also filing a motion for custody.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 8/24/2012
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    Assuming you are not the mother, that depends on whether the mother will give the child up for adoption.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/24/2012
    The Law Offices of Dave Hawkins
    The Law Offices of Dave Hawkins | Dave Hawkins
    Not without the mother's consent and not without being married.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/24/2012
    Ezim Law Firm | Dean Esposito
    Yes, you can adopt the child provided both of the child's agree to it.
    Answer Applies to: Louisiana
    Replied: 8/24/2012
    John Russo | John Russo
    You are leaving out one very important piece here, the birth mother whats her position on all of this, if she is against it how you going to pull this off.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 8/24/2012
    Donaldson Stewart, PC
    Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
    There might a way to do this, but it would require the biological mother's consent. If you and your boyfriend marry, she can consent for you to do a stepparent adoption (you cannot adopt as an unmarried partner). I recommend you speak with an attorney to discuss this matter in greater detail.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 8/24/2012
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    You can't do so unless the mother's rights are terminated and you are married to the boyfriend.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 8/24/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney