Can I add my daughter to my bankruptcy? 14 Answers as of May 17, 2011

I have around $4,000 in medical bills from my daughter who is 19 years old and lives at home. She is starting college and doesn't work. Can I add her to my bankruptcy since she is an adult? I just want her medical bills written off and mine. She can't pay them and neither can I. I get SSI and don't work.

Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
Your bankruptcy can discharge your personal obligation to pay your bills and your daughter's bills, but it will not discharge any obligation that your daughter has to pay her own medical bills.
Dearbonn Law Offices
Dearbonn Law Offices | Ajibola Oluyemisi Oladapo
You may include the medical bill in the bankruptcy.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
The only joint petitions that can be filed are by married couples.
You can discharge in your bankruptcy case your bills only, including your medical bills. Your daughter is an adult and she would have to file her own bankruptcy case if she wants to discharge her own medical bills. You cannot add a person to your bankruptcy. If you are married then you can file a joint case with your spouse if she has debts that need to be discharged or you can file by yourself but not with a person not your spouse.
If the bills are in her name, you can not discharge them for her in your bankruptcy. It sounds like the medical bills were incurred after she turned 18.
    Law Office of Larry Webb
    Law Office of Larry Webb | Larry Webb
    What do you mean by "add my daughter" You cannot file with her jointly.
    Jackson White, PC
    Jackson White, PC | Spencer Hale
    If you are liable in any way on your daughter's $4,000 in medical bills then you may, and must, include the medical bills in your bankruptcy. This will relieve you of your responsibility to pay those bills, but your daughter will still owe them. Unfortunately, your daughter may not file a joint bankruptcy with you. However, she may file her own bankruptcy and be released of her responsibility to pay through her own bankruptcy.
    The Law Offices of Alan M. Laskin
    The Law Offices of Alan M. Laskin | Jared B. Gaynor
    There needs to be some clarification here - did you cosign for her medical bills? If they are strictly her bills, no. Only a spouse and his/her bills may be included in your bankruptcy filing. However, if you did cosign, then you can add those debts in your bankruptcy filing. Just remember - a bankruptcy discharge is a personal discharge of debt. So if you did cosign, and add her debt to your BK, only your liability on that debt is extinguished. She will still be liable.
    Mankus & Marchan, LTD
    Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
    Your daughter cannot be included with your bankruptcy filing. Only a husband and wife can file jointly. Your daughter would have to file separately.
    If your daughter owes medical bills and she is your dependent they should be listed in your bankruptcy so you will not owe them (they will be discharged.) Your daughter is independently liable for her bills in spite of you listing the debts in your bankruptcy.
    If your daughter has debts that she cannot pay, then she would need to file bankruptcy herself. You cannot add a non-spouse to a bankruptcy case (and you can't really even add a spouse after the case has already been filed anyway).
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    No. Your daughter must file her separate bankruptcy to discharge her debts. Only husband and wife can file together.
    Law Offices of Steven A. Wolvek
    Law Offices of Steven A. Wolvek | Steven A. Wolvek
    Sorry but the answer is no. You can file either as an individual or as a marriage couple. She would have to file her own case.
    You can only add them to your case if you have personal liability, but that won't absolve her of her obligation to pay the bills (if she is obligated to pay them now).