Can a hospital use the department of revenue to garnish a hospital bill from your paycheck? How? 9 Answers as of October 05, 2015

Can a hospital use the department of revenue to garnish a hospital bill from your paycheck? I know they can take your state refund, but nowhere that I have read, can they take your paycheck.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
Hospitals are usually private, profit seeking businesses (although many are tax exempt, none are nonprofit). Private businesses can only garnish your wages if they have a court order. If the hospital is a governmental agency, they may have the power to garnish your wages without a court order.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 10/5/2015
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
If a hospital has a judgment against you for medical services rendered it could file a garnishment action against a refund check you might receive on your income tax return, but, unless permitted by statute, not your paycheck.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 9/30/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Recently the State of Wisconsin decided to use the Department of Revenue to collect many debts against the state. If the hospital was in any way supported by state monies, they can probably get away with it. Can you make arrangements with the hospital to accept installments?
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 9/29/2015
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
It is all fair game. See a local lawyer about your bankruptcy options.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/29/2015
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
If the hospital is a public institution funded with taxpayer dollars, this is a pretty common occurrence. Or the hospital could simply sue your husband and obtain a court judgment against him. Since many people are unaware when creditors bring legal action against them, it is a good idea to check the court records from time to time to be sure.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 9/29/2015
Click to View More Answers: