Can he sue the chair and the board for slander for what is said or questioned in private meetings? 6 Answers as of September 27, 2013

An employee of a not for profit 501(c) 3 has threatened in a letter to sue the charity's board and its trustees for slander. He has claimed that when the chairwoman of the board questioned him about intoxication at work, which was reported to her by witnesses, and which she herself had witnessed, that this was defamation of character. The verbal exchange happened at a private meeting with elders at which "anything goes" and we accept all concerns brought forward, whether these are ugly concerns or beautiful concerns. Afterwards, there is a board of trustees meeting, and he was again questioned. His wife is on the board of trustees and I believe this is a conflict of interest since the trustees can't easily discuss this matter since she gets angry and insults everyone. She was elected to serve as vice chair and her term is almost up. She has accused the chairperson of trying to force the resignation of her husband.

KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
No. A slander must be published and known to be false. It is a conflict of interest and one of them needs to go.
Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
It is not defamation if it is true.
WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
I only answer employment law questions. This is not an employment law question.
Anyone can sue for anything.
License Advocates Law Group LLP | Christine McCall
These facts will not support a slander action at law.