Can he stay and can I get child support stopped? 8 Answers as of March 04, 2013

My son has been living with me for two and so years. He is 18 finishes school this year. I still pay child support. I told him he has to go back because I can't afford to pay his mum and take care of him. He wants to stay with me. Thank you.

Youll have to file a petition with the court and make a motion to have the child support suspended, and in fact for the mother to pay child support to you.
You need to file a motion to modify custody and support. The CS modification will relate back to the date you file the motion.
John H. Sibbison III, Professional Law Corporation | John Sibbison
Yes, if you have physical custody, you can have child support reduced or eliminated.
LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
At 18 he is an adult and can live where he wants. You need to file to modify child support. Its modifiable back to the date you file your motion.
Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
In Florida 18 means the child is emancipated so the child can live wherever he/she wants.
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation | Elizabeth Jones
    He can stay. But you need to get to court to modify the child support so that you are not hit with arrears. CS doesnt end automatically until he is out if high school
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    Assuming you live in Ohio, get out your divorce or child support papers. Normally child support ends when a child is 18 and has graduated from college. You only have three months left, if that is the case, and we could not get the support changed in that time frame. Now if you have an arrearage, that will not go away. It will remain until you pay it off, the Department of Job and Family Services will not forgive or forget. Please see a family law attorney for information about the best way for you to proceed.
    Yes but you have to do it through the courts.