Can he lose his job if company files bankruptcy and should he reaffirm this to keep from it? 9 Answers as of February 05, 2015

My husband works for a home depot and we need to file on them for bankruptcy.

Law Office of Melissa Botting | Melissa Botting
If you carry a Home Depot car d, Home Depot is not actually your creditor. If you look on the back of the card you will see the actual creditor, probably GE Money Bank. You can file a bankruptcy and list your card without fear of being fired for discharging that debt.
Freeman Law Group, LLC
Freeman Law Group, LLC | Derek Freeman
I think you're throwing around legal terms without knowing what they mean, because I really don't understand the question. Do you mean to say that your husband is going to file bankruptcy and he works for Home Depot? If so, Home Depot is prohibited by law from discriminating against your husband. Do you mean that he owes Home Depot money, like on a credit card? If so, just get the debt discharged in the bankruptcy. He can't reaffirm an unsecured debt, because that would be favoring one unsecured creditor over others. Do you mean that your husband both works for Home Depot and owes Home Depot money? If so, my answers are still the same.
EDWARD P RUSSELL | EDWARD P RUSSELL
I wouldn't think that he would lose his job by filing bankruptcy and including the debt owed to Home Depot. It probably is owed to a bank like Citi Bank.
I have heard nothing about Home Depot filing bankruptcy so I can only assume that you meant to say you would be filing bankruptcy and that Home Depot is one of your creditors. Home Depot doesn't finance the credit card with their name on it. I believe Citibank actually handles these accounts. And bankruptcy laws does have provisions against an employer discriminating against someone because of a bankruptcy.
I have no idea how home depo will react. Sorry.
    If your saying that he owes home depot money and you want to file bankruptcy, then that would most likely be an internal policy of home depot. Most often, retail companies don't fire you for filing bankruptcy.
    Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
    There are protections in place to prevent employers from terminating employees who file for bankruptcy protection. This is a matter you should discuss with your attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    He will probably want to reaffirm the money he owes Home Depot. They won't tell him that is why they are letting him go, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't shortly thereafter find another excuse.
    D.J. Rausa, Attorney at Law | D.J. Rausa
    He cannot be terminated because of a filing.