Can he file for divorce or annulment if according to him, the marriage was not consummated and forced? 1 Answers as of July 17, 2017

My friend needs legal advice on how to handle the situation he got himself into. He met a woman in January of this year, moved in with her, which resulted in her taking him to the JOP to get married on 4/2/17 (he begged her during the car ride not to make him to it). They got married and according to him. He only agreed out of guilt because she had friends and family there. Now it's almost 3 weeks later and wants the marriage annulled (preferred) or will pursue a divorce. He wants to know what to do and how to go about doing it, without spending a large amount of money.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
Theoretically, he could file for annulment based on the marriage having been entered out of duress, but it might be easier to file for a divorce on no-fault grounds. In either option, your friend would need to retain counsel and spend some money. How much money will depend on the attorney and the complexity of the case.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 7/17/2017
Click to View More Answers: