Can he enter Canada with a DUI on his record? 2 Answers as of March 11, 2011

I want to visit Victoria, B.C., Canada in May for Victoria Day. I invited my friend to come with me but he's not sure if he would be allowed in the country: He got a DUI in Seattle where he lives a couple years ago, criminally it was reduced to a MIP, but it remains as a DUI on his driving record. Although it shows up on his driving, would he be able to enter the country since criminally he wasn't charged with the DUI?

Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
A person cannot enter Vancouver Canada only if he has plead, or has been found guilty of DUI.
Mercado & Hartung
Mercado & Hartung | Stephanie Hartung
Border Patrol has a lot of discretion regarding entrance of non-citizens. A DUI conviction will bar someone from entry into Canada. If the case was reduced to an MIP than he was not convicted of DUI. His entry is still discretionary, but not prohibited per se. If he really wants to be cautious he can apply for a temporary visa.