Can a green card holder who is in debt have problems with reentry back into the United States? 12 Answers as of January 16, 2011

i am a greencar holder and i would like to travel outside of the us for 2 to 3 weeks but i am currently in debt so i would like to know can that effect my reentry in to the united states?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
Debt should not affect your immigration status.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/16/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You have no problems at all, as long as you are not subject to a criminal prosecution. Enjoy your trip (cannot exceed six months), and come on back.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/10/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
It should not but to give a definitive opinion I would need to know the nature of the debt, whether there are any outstanding warrants, is it child support, etc.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/29/2010
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
This depends on whether the debt is to the U.S. Government. Please call our office for further assistance.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 12/28/2010
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
No Problem.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 12/28/2010
    Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC
    Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC | Kirk A. Carter
    No. We all have mortgages, car loans, student loans, credit cards, etc. Many of us owe more than we have and, in some instances, more than we make! America is a nation of debtors. If solvency was a qualification for being admitted to the US or being allowed to remain here, the country would be more than half empty! Even bankruptcy does not affect immigration status so long as there are no criminal charges related to the filing, such as defrauding creditors.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 12/27/2010
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney