Can a green card be renewed if the sponsor passed away? 8 Answers as of August 05, 2011

I have a friend who's been a permanent resident for almost 20 years; however a stroke 7 yrs ago prevented him from working. His sponsor (father) passed away about 4 yrs ago. His green card expires in 3 months and he wants to become a citizen, but first must renew his card. Will he be able to do both without a sponsor? Given his past inability to work, would he be eligible for a waiver of the application fees? (He does not have 40 quarters of credit).

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
Since he already has a green card, he will not need a sponsor anymore. He can renew his green card and/or file for citizenship (assuming he qualifies).
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/5/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
If your friend is a permanent resident, he can apply to renew his card or apply for naturalization and request a fee waiver. He does not need an affidavit of support. [you are looking at the wrong section of the regulation]. There are citizenship workshops usually sponsored by immigration attorneys that can help your friend at no charge.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/5/2011
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Yes he can renew the green card without any sponsor issues.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/5/2011
Julian & Chin LLP
Julian & Chin LLP | Larry F Chin
In this case it does not matter that his father died.He remains a resident. He may be eligible to get the fee waived for the N-400 depending on his financial situation.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/5/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
Yes, the income requirement is only for the initial petitioner. File to renew the permanent residence, then apply for naturalization.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/5/2011
Click to View More Answers: