Can a Grant Deed be used instead of a Deed Of Trust? 4 Answers as of August 11, 2015

I purchased a property in 1987 and I went back and reviewed the docs associated with the transaction and I found an unexecuted Deed Of Trust with a Grant Deed used instead to record the concluded sale.

Completely different documents. A deed of trust (aka trust deed) is a security instrument, used to borrow money from a lender; it does not pass title.
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
A grant deed and a deed of trust, commonly called a trust deed, are two completely different things. The grant deed documents that your seller conveyed title to the property to you. A deed of trust is like a mortgage, and would show that you have pledged the property to your lender, if you borrowed money using the property as security for the loan.
Suggest you seek the assistance of a real estate lawyer.
Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
No, a Deed of Trust usually secures a debt or lien against the property, while a Grant Deed transfers ownership.