Can the grandparents file for visitation rights? 2 Answers as of July 28, 2011

I was wondering how grandparent rights work in ca. My daughters grandma hasnt seen her since she was three days old and she has18months now, can her grandma file for visitation even though they have no bond?

Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
Yes, there is a provision in the family code for grandparents to request visitation with their grandchildren. It is a complicated process and she would want to meet with an experienced family law lawyer as soon as possible.
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
Generally it is extremely difficult for a grandparent to obtain visitation over a child. The limited circumstances which would make that possible are if the parent of the child does not have custody or is deceased and it can be shown that it would be detrimental to the child for grandparent visitation to not occur. The burden would be on the grandparent to show that they were entitled to custody. If you are served with paperwork, you should seek the advice of a family law attorney.