Can getting my wife a dependent pass to the UK affect her green card? 1 Answers as of September 11, 2014

I am a US citizen married to a Brazilian national. She received her green card last year but only spent 3 weeks in the USA because she was living with me in Malaysia where I was assigned for work. Now, after a month in the US, I will be assigned to the UK and I am planning to get her a dependent pass so that she can work in the UK also. My concern is that getting a dependent pass to the UK would cause the US government to cancel her green card. I understand that being out of the USA will delay her citizenship, but it seems that since I am a citizen, we are married, and she is living with me in the UK that she should be able to keep her green card. Will getting the dependent pass affect her Green Card?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
The dependent pass will simply be one factor in the equation. Your wife is expected to reside in the United States on a permanent basis. She spent minimal time in the United States since becoming a lawful permanent resident. This can become a significant as she may be deemed to have abandoned her status. Your wife may want to consider obtaining a re-entry permit. You and your wife should schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney before proceeding any further.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/11/2014
Click to View More Answers: