Can getting food stamp for my US citizen kids affect me when I invite a family member from Africa? 6 Answers as of October 09, 2012

Am planning to invite a family member in the future and am a green card holder who is not working with three kids, my husband is working but we make less than $650 bi-weekly.

Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC | Alan R. Diamante
No. However, having little income can be an issue for an affidavit of support.
It could pose a problem when you send an invitation letter. It would definitely be an issue if you were sponsoring an intended immigrant.
Law Office of Rebecca White
Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
It depends what you mean by "invite" - if you are hoping to file an immigrant visa petition for a family member of if you are hoping to use extend an invitation for someone using a visitor visa. You will want to discuss the options, being very clear with the case manager of your immigration status, before making any decisions.
Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
Such a filing is not going to get approved because you are not in the position to financially support the relative you want to sponsor. Either you should get a co-sponsor who can show sufficient financial means, or wait until you are in a more financially sound position to file.
Bell, Nunnally & Martin, LLP | Karen-Lee Pollak
Yes it will affect you if are a public charge you will not be able to show you can support the family member.
    Immigration Attorneys, LLP | Robert R. Gard
    No, receipt of food stamps for U.S. kids should have no adverse effect. REQUIRED DISCLAIMER: This information is generalized and should NOT be relied upon as legal advice; and this communication does NOT create a lawyer client relationship. Any reliance on information contained herein is taken at your own risk. Please note this information is general and without our engagement should be taken as informational only. Please also note, that until we are engaged pursuant to an engagement agreement for specific services the attorney-client relationship will not begin