Can a foreigner going to school in the United States work there? 2 Answers as of November 09, 2010

I live in the UK, but I want to go to uni in the states, and I was accepted to a university. Do I have a decent chance of getting a visa that will allow me to work part-time while I am at school?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
In short, the answer is maybe. As a rule, you would not be able to work while in the USA on an F-1 university student visa, at least for the first nine months you are present in the country. However, there are exceptions. One, you are able to work with an on-campus store or service at your university, or a university-related institution, such as a medical research or experimental center or on-campus political center. Two, you can work at least 20 hours per week after nine months have passed for a private business concern, with university approval, which has a reasonable relationship with the field of study you are in. And third, in the final portion of your time of study, you can work for a related firm as an OPT (Occupational Practical Training) intern for anywhere from 12 to 29 months, depending on your field of study. If you want to know more, please e-mail or call, for an in-person or phone consultation, which is more likely, on Skype. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/9/2010
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
If you are going to school in the US as an international student, you need a student visa. Once you are in student visa status, you may be able to work (with qualifications). Some employment is possible for part-time on-campus and during the breaks from school, you may be able to work more hours.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/2/2010
Click to View More Answers: