Can filing bankruptcy for criminal court cost, and other collection debts help give me a fresh start? 9 Answers as of October 13, 2016

I have years of unpaid criminal court costs, and online loans and collection debts. Is there anything I can do to get a fresh start? I've had a hard time finding employment or being able to obtain housing do to my debts.

Court fines, costs, and restitution orders are not dischargeable. Everything else your referenced is dischargeable.
Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
You cannot discharge criminal restitution or administrative fines.
Although bankruptcy will not discharge debts relating to any criminal offense. it can discharge most of the other types of debt you describe. And in some some instances, the court will stop collecting on the criminal costs and forget to resume collection. What you really need to be considering is the total amount of these debts and the portion of the debts relating to the criminal costs. In some instances, it makes sense to propose repaying the criminal court costs in Chapter 13. This could make repayment manageable and even eliminate the portion you cannot pay after 5 years.
A chapter 7 bankruptcy usually does not discharge criminal fines and assessments. Generally, it should take care of everything else.
Law Office of Michael Johnson
Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
Everything but criminal costs.
    Most debts relating to criminal activity is not dischargable. Your other debts, so long as not incurred by fraud would be, however.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    It's probably not possible to discharge the criminal court costs, but the other debt could be discharged. If you have regular employment, you could use chapter 13 to pay off the criminal court costs while potentially avoiding the other debts. Ask for a free consultation from a reputable bankruptcy attorney.
    Court costs are dischargeable. Restitution and fines are not. See local counsel to determine exactly what you owe the courts and why. You will need to bring the supporting paperwork with you. On the other hand, you can file (like throwing mud on the wall) and see what gets discharged.
    While you can use bankruptcy to get rid of most debts, some of them are not discharged. Court costs in most cases will not be discharged in your bankruptcy. But many other debts will be discharged. It's almost always a good idea to retain an experienced bankruptcy lawyer. Good luck.