Can felony or misdemeanor theft charges be expunged from a criminal record? 1 Answers as of April 27, 2011

If someone had a felony theft of property and they plead guilty to a misdemeanor theft of property, can this be removed or expunged from their record?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
It depends on whether you were granted supervision or not. If you received probation, fine only, or time in jail, after a plea of guilty, you cannot get the arrest expunged from your record, ever. If you got supervision, you can get this expunged. Also, you may be able to seal your conviction, which means only law enforcement officials have access to this violation. Check with the clerk of court to find out whether you qualify for a seal of your record.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 4/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: