Can a father give up his right to a minor child and does he still have to pay child support? 8 Answers as of April 30, 2014

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell | Andrellos Mitchell
Your legal responsibilities as a parent have nothing to do with things like visitation and custody. You could not have custody of your child and still be required to pay child support.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Replied: 4/30/2014
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
A father can give up his rights to a child. If he is the father of your child, you can file a petition to terminate his parental rights and include his written consent to the termination. Once the Judge orders the termination of the parental rights, the father will no longer be obligated to pay child support. The forms can be found online at the Family Court's website. If you need further assistance, I would consider retaining an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/30/2014
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
He can't give it up unless someone else assumes it via adoption or by proving he is the biological father. And yes, until this other person shows up, he has to pay support.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/30/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Yes, he can, but only if somebody is willing to step in and take his place or the mom can financially provide for the child without government assistance. If his rights are terminated, his obligation to pay child support will stop then. Any prior child support is still owing.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 4/30/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Generally not, it is possible for a father to give up his rights to the children, but not his obligations unless there is an adoption by another responsible adult.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/30/2014
    Home Town Law, P.A.
    Home Town Law, P.A. | Sabina Tomshinsky
    A father can only give up his parental rights if another person is willing to take his place (through adoption). When a child is adopted, the biological father's obligation to pay future support terminates.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 4/30/2014
    John Ceci PLLC
    John Ceci PLLC | John Ceci
    The short answer is no. There is no such thing as giving up parental rights in the abstract. One can voluntarily choose not to see their child (an unfortunate choice in my view but many people do). However child support can be ordered and enforced until the child is adopted.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/30/2014
    J. Barbour Rixey, P.C.
    J. Barbour Rixey, P.C. | J. Barbour Rixey
    No a parent cannot give up parental rights voluntarily except through adoption.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 4/30/2014
Click to View More Answers: