Can a family trust replace a will? 7 Answers as of August 28, 2015

I am getting prepared to hire an attorney to update my documents. Can I have only a family trust and not have to have a Will?

In essence, a trust does take the place of a will. However, common practice is to have a pour-over will along with the trust, in order to pick up any assets which were not properly transferred into the trust. Your lawyer will explain, and congratulations on making a good decision.
Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
The short answer is yes, but normally an attorney would prepare both. The will, called a pour over will, covers anything that may have been left out of the trust.
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
Nobody "needs" a will. But it is wise to have one. After all, you may at some point have some assets not in the Trust.
That would be a yes.
You need both, as you may get new assets after you prepare the Trust so they have to be covered by the pour over Will.
    The trust effectively replaces a will, but it is customary to also have a "pour-over" will which works with the trust. It merely states that the trust is the sole beneficiary of the will.
    WFB Legal Consulting, Inc.
    WFB Legal Consulting, Inc. | William F. Bernard
    Yes, absolutely, and it should in order to avoid probate. See an estate planning lawyer as soon as possible.