Can a F-1 student visa become a permanent resident? 4 Answers as of September 25, 2010

Can someone with a F-1 student visa get a green card so that they can become a permanent US resident?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The short answer is yes. While an F-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa, with an assumption the visa holder will return to the USA, applying for an adjustment of status, whether with a family/spouse or an employer petitioner as sponsor, is not considered fraudulent intent on the part of an F-1 visa holder. If you wish to pursue obtaining such a visa and would like the help of an attorney, by all means contact me by e-mail or phone to set up an in-person or telephone consultation to decide how I may help you as your lawyer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/24/2010
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Yes. F-1 student can apply for permanent resident in three situations below:

1. Marriage to US citizen or green card holder

2. Employer sponsored EB2, or EB3 green card application. Labor Cert (PERM) + I-140

3. Investment of $500,000 in regional center. Green card received within 10 months.

4. Asylum. If you are from a country that persecutes its citizens for exercising their political and religious rights.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/23/2010
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
You can only get a green card if someone petitions for you and that petition is approved and on the basis of that petition you apply for the green card. That petition can be by a relative (US Citizen spouse, parent, child over 21 or sibling) or through an offer of fulltime employer from a US company. You can also try to apply through the diversity visa lottery if you are a citizen of a country that is included in the annual lottery.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/22/2010
Click to View More Answers: