Can a DUI probation prevent me from buying a gun? 6 Answers as of July 02, 2013

I have a misdemeanor DUI probation sentence of 3 years in New York. Would this affect me buy a registered gun and or passing the background check?

It may or may not prevent you from obtaining a gun legally. I would need all the details to answer better.
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
Although you were sentenced to probation for 3 years, you were still convicted of a misdemeanor crime. This becomes part of your criminal background permanently, and will always appear in any background check. However, a DUI misdemeanor conviction is usually not enough to prohibit you from ever obtaining a handgun in New York State.
You must disclose any arrest on the application. A felony would definitely prevent you from getting a permit. If you have mental health issues, are an alcoholic, have been convicted of domestic violence, or have an Order of Protection against you it will be almost impossible. You should retain a good criminal attorney to help you since they may consider you an alcoholic and deny it. A good lawyer can probably get you a license if that is your only conviction.
I'm not an expert in this area but I would think that it would have only a minor affect, if any at all.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
The best way to find out would be to make the application.