Can a doctror deny a visit if you filed against him? 14 Answers as of June 22, 2011

When we filed bankruptcy it included our doctor we owe $1,500.00. We said we would continue to make payments but they said they want half (which we do not have). I guess what I want to know is: Can they deny an office visit (every 6 month blood test)? Can't we just continue to make payments to him and not have to pay half? She said they write off a bankruptcy, and probably at tax time they get some break, but still if we are willing to make monthly payments why is that not good enough? I don't want my husband not to have access to him if we show up as a bankruptcy on their file.

Your doctor can do whatever they want. Bankruptcy courts can't force them to see you as a patient, if that's what you're asking.
Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
This is really 2 questions. First, the doctor cannot expect, demand, or request any payment from you. You may pay voluntarily, but if you were my client I'd recommend against out because the debt is so high. Second, the doctor could refuse to treat or you could agree to pay him the new charges after each future visit.
Is this doctor assigned to you by your insurance company? If so I would take it up the the administrator of your health plan. You may have to get a new doctor if you pay for him or her privately. This may also be a violation of the discharge injunction. You should consult with a local lawyer.
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
Unless emergency, which this is not, doctor can deny you.
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
If the debt was discharged in bankruptcy and the doctor refuses to treat the patient until the debt is paid, then the doctor is attempting to collect on a debt discharged in bankruptcy in violation of the discharge injunction preventing them from doing this. However, the doctor can refuse treatment if you don't pay for services at the doctors visit. So, the doc can say, Hey, we need payment in full for today's visit. They can never collect on that old debt though.
    A professional such as a doctor can deny service after a bankruptcy in the absence of a mutual agreement such as a reaffirmation.
    Daniel Hoarfrost, Attorney at Law
    Daniel Hoarfrost, Attorney at Law | Daniel Hoarfrost
    A doctor is not obligated to treat you after a bankruptcy.
    A private business, including a doctor, can refuse service to anyone they want. So, yes, they can deny to see you.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    A doctor is nothing more than an individual who is selling a service. He or she can provide these services to anyone they want. They can also withhold their services from anyone they want as long as it is not for an illegal purpose. Eg. Discrimination based on race, sex etc.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    Yes, the doctor can refuse to continue to treat you or your husband. A doctor's office is not generally legally obligated to take anyone they don't want to. The doctor has already lost $1500, if they would rather cut their losses than do a payment plan with you, that is up to them. Your bankruptcy discharged the debt so they cannot try and go after you for repayment, but they also do not have to see you any longer.
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed | Robert Weed
    A hospital can't turn you away but a doctor can.
    No, he is not required to see anyone. If you cannot make payments, he may agree if you pay up front for each future visit.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    Possible but unlikely. If so, switch doctors.
    Hopefully you didn't make the mistake of doing a pro se bankruptcy. Since you didn't know something this basic, it is clear that your case will likely go badly and you will probably make mistakes. Yes, your doctor can fire you as a patient. And get a lawyer to make sure you don't botch up your discharge.